While in COVID-19 pandemic and modules are delivered on-line, can I study from my home base?

Unfortunately, this is not possible. You must be physically present in the Paisley or Hamilton (Lanarkshire) area, to be able to register for the modules you wish to study. Documents for attesting your arrival (all in .docx format), required by your International Office, must be accompanied by a boarding pass or ticket.

Compendium of BREXIT-related questions

I have detailed below the information currently known on this issue, as far as students are concerned. This information is accurate as of the date of this update (November 2020), however as there is considerable uncertainty it is subject to quick changes. Please make use of the highlighted resources at the end of this compedium to check for updates, I would particularly recommend the UKCISA website.

Visa If you intend to permanently leave the UK on or before the 31st December 2020, you do not need to apply for any type of visa or immigration permission. You can continue to travel using your passport/national ID card. If you will continue to live in the UK (permanently or temporarily) after the 31st December 2020, you should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. The final application deadline will be the 30th June 2021. You must apply to the Settlement Scheme if you will remain in the UK after the 30th June 2021. I recommend you apply for the Settlement Scheme on or before the 31st December 2020, even if you plan to permanently leave the UK on or before the 30th June 2021. If you will leave the UK on or before the 30th June 2021 and you have decided not to apply for the Settlement Scheme, please contact me for advice on the implications, particularly if you plan to travel in and out of the UK between the 31st December 2020 and the 30th June 2021.

How do I qualify? You must be resident (living) in the UK on or before 11pm on the 31st December 2020. You must not have any serious criminal convictions.

How do I apply? If you have a smartphone, visit your app store and type “EU Exit: ID Document Check”. Then install and open the app. You complete a short form, take a scan/photograph your passport and take a selfie. Android and iPhones can be used but the app may not work with older models. If the app does not work on your phone, you can borrow a friend’s phone. Please contact us if you have any difficulties. The application is free.

What will I be granted? Settled status – if you have been living in the UK for 5 years or more. Pre-settled status – if you have been living in the UK for less than 5 years. This status allows you to remain in the UK and travel. Once you have been in the UK for 5 years, you simply apply again and you should be given full Settled Status.

Once you have been granted Settled Status this will be permanent. You can only lose this status if you leave the UK for a continuous 5 year period.

What is counted as 5 years residence – I plan to/I have already spent time outside the UK? If you spend time outside the UK for any of the following reasons, you will still be considered to be resident in the UK, and this time will count towards your total time spent in the UK.

• No more than 6 months absence in any 12 month period

• One absence of over 6 months, but no more than 12 months and the absence was for an “important reason” such as study (e.g. Study Abroad/ERASMUS) , vocational training, an overseas posting, serious illness, pregnancy or childbirth

• an absence of any duration for compulsory military service

If you spend more than 6 months outside the UK and it is not for one of the reason above, you will not be considered to be resident in the UK. If you return to live in the UK on or before the 31st December 2020, you will still be eligible to apply to the Settlement Scheme, but you will be granted Pre-Settled Status and the start of your new residence period will be the date you return to the UK.

Do I need comprehensive sickness insurance? No, you do not need to provide proof of sickness insurance (such as the European Health Insurance card or a private medical insurance policy). If you currently hold an EHIC card (European Health Insurance Card) I recommend you try and keep this renewed and valid, in case there are any changes.

I have applied for the Scheme and I have been asked for more documents – what should I provide? The Home Office should tell you how long they think you have been resident in the UK. If it is less than 5 years, they may contact you to give you an opportunity to provide more documents to show you have been in the UK longer than their estimate. If they have estimated your time in the UK correctly, just reply and confirm you want to be granted Pre-Settled status. If they are wrong and you have been in the UK longer you can send them any of the documents below as evidence:

• UWS student status letter (will show your start date)

• Invoices for tuition fees and documentation issued by SAAS or student finance bodies

• Bank statements

• Employer letter, P60 and or P45

Where can I find information and updates?

UKCISA website; https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/Information--Advice/EU-EEA--Swiss-Students/Brexit---EU-Settlement-Scheme

Home Office Guidance; https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families, https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-the-eu-exit-id-document-check-app

I study in France; what is my DUT equivalent to?

The DUT is broadly equivalent to a Higher National Diploma (HND), as they are both worth 120 ECTS. An appropriate DUT will normally allow advanced admission to the third year (level 9) of our programmes, allowing you to graduate a year later with a Bachelors Degree.

I intend to study at UWS. What are the English language requirements?

When will I receive my transcripts?

All students will receive their transcripts from the Student Records Office by post to their home address in mid-July. Students who have studied only during the Fall semester, can request a transcript via a form available on the University's public website, simply visit http://www.uws.ac.uk/about-uws/services-for-students/student-administration/academic-transcripts/ and complete the requisite form.

I am an exchange student. Do I need to submit a reference letter?

No, all you require to upload to the application system is a very short statement from your Erasmus Coordinator that your knowledge of the English language is B2 or better.

When can I get signed my Attestation de Debut de Sejour/Attestation de Mobilite/Attestation d' Inscription/Explora or other similar documents?

I make sure that I am available during the first two weeks of September and January and late April/early May for signing all such documents. No appointment is necessary or can be entered into, just follow my tweets for daily availability. You must come in person for signature, I will simply ignore documents left under my office door, with a colleague or e-mailed to me. You should also consider that sometimes I have a heavy teaching load that will keep me away from my office(s) at specific days of the week, consult either my Twitter feeds or this website on any day you wish to visit. In addition, my weekly availability is also posted outside my Paisley office. If you plan to leave before the official end of either trimester, you should note that ERASMUS+ regulations allow only 5 days divergence between date of signature and date of departure. In all documentation, the actual date of signing will be entered and no document can be post-dated.

Depending on module choice it is possible some times for teaching to finish well before the official end of the trimester, particularly during the Spring one when there are 2 weeks of break in teaching and no formal examinations to be held after that break. As you must present yourself in person on the day you wish your documents signed, no friends or other representatives will be accepted as replacements. If the length of time between your departure date and the official end of the trimester is significant, it may be necessary to return to Scotland and have your documents signed. One such instance will happen in 2019, when the end of the semester is Saturday 4th May but actual teaching will conclude on Saturday 30th March; students leaving before 25th April, should return to Scotland after the May-Day holiday of Monday the 6th to have their documentation signed.

What happens if my institution does not appear in the drop-down list of the on-line application system?

Select another similar institution at your country of origin so you can complete the application and make me aware upon arrival, so that the list can be updated.

I have received an offer, what does it mean?

Unconditional : it means you have satisfied all the admission requirements, no further action is needed on your part. You can now proceed to book university accommodation should you require so.

Conditional : it means that there is still at least one condition, or more, to be satisfied before you are admitted to the University, the details of which will be included in the letter you will receive from the Admissions Office. Once the condition(s) is/are satisfied, you should send evidence of it, so that your offer can be changed to 'unconditional' and proceed as above. Do not make any travel arrangements until you have been given such an offer.

Reject : the University is unable to offer you a place in the course(s) you have applied for.

I am an Erasmus Exchange student wishing to take one or more postgraduate modules. The on-line application system, however, defaults to an undergraduate application. What should I do?

Simply apply as an undergraduate student and when you arrive in Scotland, we will modify your Learning Agreement and registration of modules.

Which are the most important documents to upload with my application?

In all instances, you should upload a curriculum vitae (CV) as it sometimes helps clarify your status; you can choose any format you prefer and you may include a photo if you so wish. In addition, if you are applying to transfer credit and graduate from the University, you must upload (i) copies of transcripts showing ECTS earned at the time of application (ii) at least one academic reference letter and (iii) a copy of your English language qualification. If you are an applicant from a partner institution, the latter can be replaced by the reference letter from your Erasmus Coordinator, as in para 3, above. If you are an Erasmus Exchange student who does not intend to graduate, the reference letter is the minimum requirement (but see the 3rd bullet point above). Remember, however, the more evidence we have about yourself, the less need to contact you and the quicker a decision can be made.

How many ECTS can I study per semester?

As a non-graduating Erasmus Exchange student you can register for 30 ECTS per semester across all levels and all programmes of the School of Business and Enterprise. As every module is 10 ECTS, this means a maximum of 3 modules. Exceptionally, you can register free for a further one per semester as long as it is for English language. If you register for any other than English module, you will be issued with an invoice for £340. You should note that no student is allowed to register for more than 40 ECTS per semester. If you are a graduating student, you will be restricted by the choices allowed in your chosen programme of study, while as an Erasmus Exchange student you can choose any 3 modules across levels and across programmes.

I will be taking a programme of studies that will allow me to graduate with a BA degree. When will I choose the modules I want to take?

As part of the induction/orientation week, you will attend presentations of the various module coordinators and, in addition to the compulsory-for-the-programme modules (normally 2 in every semester) for which you will be registered automatically once you firmly accept an unconditional offer, you will choose the two elective modules (one per semester) you wish to register for. ATTENTION: you cannot change an elective module choice you have made after the second teaching week. Any changes can be activated by contacting me (see under the <Find me> for details). You should note, however, that changes are not permitted for modules with a credit value of 5 ECTS, as these last only six teaching weeks.

When and how do I register/enroll for my modules?

You have applied and you have received an unconditional offer. You are obviously keen to register for your modules. Module registration will take place during the induction/orientation event and cannot be effected earlier. After the module registration, you will enroll on-line and receive your student card. This signals your access to all our systems and services, such as issue of registration letters, the Moodle VLE etc. There are two methods of choosing the modules you wish to study in advance of your arrival. Either e-mail a copy of a completed one to myself and I will post it back duly signed to your home address, or use the ERASMUS+ Dashboard and submit an Online Learning Agreement (OLA) which I will sign on-line. In either case, depending on the timing of the submission, there may not be details for available modules or timetable information. In such instances, your LA will be signed to allow you compliance with the ERASMUS+ provisions and any necessary changes will be effected upon your arrival in the induction event.

You should note, that those who intend to stay for a full academic year and graduate with one of our BA Degrees, will have their compulsory modules pre-loaded and they will have to choose upon arrival their elective choices. In all cases, upon receiving your application from our Admissions Office and a decision is made on it, I will send you an e-mail directing you to many sources of necessary information.

So, what else happens during the induction/orientation event?

During this event, you will be welcomed officially to the School of Business and Creative Inductries by myself as the ERASMUS+/Global Opportunities Coordinator and possibly other senior members of staff. In September, many welcoming activities are also organised by central departments, given the large number of students, while in January only the Schools put on induction/orientation events. In both instance, however, the School induction event remains uncganged. I will (i) give some historical information in the development of the University and the School (ii) explain some of the most applicable academic regulations (iii) cover the essential elements of health and safety provision and guidelines and (iv) wil answer any questions that the newly arrived students may have. Irrespective, this event does not last for more than two hours, as student numbers are divided into smaller manageable groups. After a break, the ERASMUS+ Coordinator will meet individually each student to complete his/her registration process, meet those who may require to choose alternative modules due to unavailability or timetable conflicts, sign any outstanding Learning Agreements and/or all the Arrival Certificates and generally address any other concerns a student may have.

I need a registration letter for Council Tax exemption or any other purpose. Where will I get it from?

Once you enrol on-line, you can log onto your Banner record and select the option <documents>.

Can I see my final results for each module?

Yes, shortly after the meeting of the relevant Examination Board (we call it School Assessment Board-SAB) that normally takes place around two weeks after the last day of the examination diet. Just log onto your Banner record, but be careful, results are provisional at that stage until approved by the Programme Panel usually a week or so later.

Can you guarantee that the module(s) I have chosen will be available?

It all depends on when you either make your selection or when you access our timetables. If the number of students registered for a particular module is <=12, the Module Coordinator may choose not to offer the module. You should not assume that your chosen module(s) will be available; if a module appears on the timetable, say, the week before the semester is due to start, there is high probability that the module will be offered, otherwise exercise caution. You should note that this 'health warning' applies to elective modules, the core/compulsory ones are always offered.

How and when will I receive my student ID card?

Your student ID number (Banner ID) is your unique identifier at the University. Your student ID card is important as it gives you access to the Library and other University facilities. It is required as proof of identity and valid student status for entry to examination halls and to be swiped in lecture theatres, classrooms and labs to register your attendance. You may have uploaded a photograph during Online Enrollment, but if this was not done you should e-mail a photo to studentcard@uws.ac.uk or send a passport-sized photograph with your name and Banner ID written on the reverse, to Student Administration of your campus. During induction/orientation week you will have a photograph taken by staff and you will collect your student id card. If you arrive after the end of the induction/orientation week you should visit The Hub at the campus you are studying.

Can I change my Programme of Study and if so, how?

This must be discussed and agreed with myself, first. Once agreed, I will sign the appropriate form and sent it off to Student Administration for updating your student record.

I was told during induction about the personal tutor (PT). What is he/she and what can they do for me?

A PT is a member of the academic staff. The tutor is allocated to you for the year or trimester you will spend at UWS. The PT is there to help you with any problems that you may be facing that may get in the way of you completing your Degree successfully. The PT will meet with you each trimester formally. This meeting will be minuted and if you need any help the PT will recommend a course of action. This may be about your learning and teaching experience, finance, childcare issues, learning support needs, disability, health issues, family issues etc. Don't expect your PT to have an instant answer to your problems but he/she should be able to advise or to help you contact the experts in support services who may be best placed to help.

I am a potential student with special needs. Is there support available?

Yes, we are able to easily provide support for such students. This additional support varies from extra time in assessments, use of a PC for exams etc; these are quite common adjustments that we make for students with disabilities. We would need some evidence of the disability, and this would need to be provided in English, or an official translation provided. The student should also complete a Support Request Form, available from the website address https://www.uws.ac.uk/current-students/supporting-your-health-wellbeing/disability/ and return this to the appropriate department in order to register with the Disability Service. A Disability Adviser would then get in touch to discuss all their needs and start to arrange support.


Despite my best efforts, I failed a module. How can I validate it?

Irrespective if the module was delivered in the fall or the Spring semesters, the Resit Examination Diet takes place in mid-June and lasts one week. If the module you failed was assessed 100% by coursework, you will have to submit a replacement one; ask your tutor or module coordinator for details. If the module you failed involves an examination, you can, theoretically, take this in your home institution. You will have to (i) obtain the relevant form from the Examinations Unit (ii) bring it to my office for authorisation (iii) pay £70 either to Finance Office or on-line and then (iv) take the form back at the Examinations Unit. Why did I write 'theoretically'? It is very probable that your home institution is closed during the month of August; if this is indeed the case, you have two options (i) either come back to Scotland for the examination, or (ii) take the exam at the nearest British Council office.

I am unable to be present for an assessment during the main examination diet, as I have to go back to my home institution to sit another examination. What can I do?

If you are not present for an assessment such as a class test or a formal examination that takes place before the end of the semester, you will fail automatically the module in question. You should submit immediately the Extenuating Circumstances form, you should refer to http://www.uws.ac.uk/current-students/rights-and-regulations/extenuating-circumstances/ for further details. You will have to take the examination during the June resit diet, by completing an appropriate form obtained from the Examinations Unit together with the payment of the appropriate fee. If your host (and our partner) institution is in agreement, the examination paper will be sent there and you will sit the assessment at exactly the same day and time as any students in Scotland.

It is possible, however, that your host institution to be closed at the time of the resit diet and the British Council in Paris is too far from your place of residence. In such a case, you should get in touch with me at the earliest opportunity. We have a number of other partner institutions that (i) may be open during the resit diet (ii) are closer to your permanent place of residence and (iii) are prepared to allow you to sit the examination at their premises. We will try to help you out in the best possible way; if all, however, fails, you will have no other alternative than to return to Scotland for the examination.

I have booked a holiday on the day that an exam is to take place, or I am required to take another exam (e.g. TAGE MAGE). If I put in mitigation wil I be able to take the exam next time without penalty?

Holidays are not acceptable excuses for mitigation, another exam like TAGE MAGE may grant you successful mitigation. The dates of the examination diet are published at the start of the trimester and they can also be found here under <Academic Calendar>.

I was not able to sit an examination at the last sitting. That means that I have not had an attempt. The next attempt will be my first, correct?

Totally wrong. If you choose not to attend you forfeit that attempt. If, for example, you are supposed to sit an examination or hand-in a coursework by the December examination diet but you don't, you failed your first attempt. In fact, you will lose any right to your resits, unless you have applied for mitigation and your application has been successful. If you do not have mitigation, you will receive a re-attend (RA) decision which will require you to come back the following year and re-register for the module at a cost and to attend classes.

What is the University's grading scheme?

So what quality of work is expected for every grade undergraduate descriptor?

And what about postgraduate grade descriptors?