BREXIT issues

If you are attending the Paisley campus, I can be found on the third floor of the Gardner Building (the so called G-block, home of the School of Business Creative Industries), in room G311. If you are attending the Lanarkshire campus you must ascertain my availability at this campus either as published on Twitter (see below) or in the page of this website entitled [My daily diary]. When in Lanarkshire, I can be found at the Business School office, on the first floor of Building 2. To avoid lengthy wait times for an appointment, my daily diary availability is published at 08:30hrs every morning at @NonPitt, so start following me on Twitter the soonest possible. IMPORTANT: these arrangements will not apply during most of academic session 2021/22, since we are working remotely as a result of COVID-19. Just watch for announcements on my social media page.

Student wellbeing over Christmas recess

I’ve received the attached documents and information below from the Student Wellbeing Team which has also being shared with our student community via social media channels. Student Services have compiled a self-care calendar which is available on the student page supporting your health and wellbeing . Here students can find information about accessing support over the festive break, alongside out of hours contacts.

There is further advice and guidance on the counselling team myday tile and regular social media posts will be highlighting this support across university channels.

you can click on this link to download the .pdf version of the calendar. Please feel free to share on social media hyperlinking to and/or this link will take you to our counselling team MyDay tile.

Extension of ERASMUS+ programme

Our current Erasmus Grant Agreement beyond September 2021 has been approved by the British Council. We requested that the current Grant Agreement be extended to the maximum permissible 36 months, and we can now confirm that the new end date is 31 May 2023. At the end of November 2020 we wrote to all our Erasmus partner institutions to confirm that the existing Inter Institutional Agreements (IIAs) will remain valid until the end of the newly extended current Erasmus Grant Agreement, 31 May 2023. Unfortunately, as the position on the UK’s future participation in the ERASMUS+ programme (after the end of the current agreements) remains unclear, and we do not yet have clarity on fees, scholarships or the equivalency of exchange (matching inbound and outbound numbers of exchange students), it does not seem possible to progress requests for new or expanded exchange partnerships until such clarity is provided by either the Scottish or the UK Governments.

Immigration and Visa Guide for EU students

If you are either an ERASMUS+ or a EU Exchange student, you should read this guide on immigration and visa for EU students, published by our International Student Support.

Visa and other requirements

If you intend to permanently leave the UK on or before the 31st December 2020, you do not need to apply for any type of visa or immigration permission. You can continue to travel using your passport/national ID card. If you will continue to live in the UK (permanently or temporarily) after the 31st December 2020, you should apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. The final application deadline will be the 30th June 2021. You must apply to the Settlement Scheme if you will remain in the UK after the 30th June 2021. We recommend you apply for the Settlement Scheme on or before the 31st December 2020, even if you plan to permanently leave the UK on or before the 30th June 2021. If you will leave the UK on or before the 30th June 2021 and you have decided not to apply for the Settlement Scheme, please contact me for advice on the implications, particularly if you plan to travel in and out of the UK between the 31st December 2020 and the 30th June 2021.

Who qualifies?

(i) You must be resident (living) in the UK on or before 11pm on the 31st December 2020.

(ii) You must not have any serious criminal convictions.

How do I apply?

If you have a smartphone, visit your app store and type “EU Exit: ID Document Check”. Then install and open the app. You complete a short form, take a scan/photograph your passport and take a selfie. Android and iPhones can be used but the app may not work with older models. If the app does not work on your phone, you can borrow a friend’s phone. Please contact us if you have any difficulties. The application is free.

What will you be granted?

Settled status – if you have been living in the UK for 5 years or more.

Pre-settled status – if you have been living in the UK for less than 5 years. This status allows you to remain in the UK and travel. Once you have been in the UK for 5 years, you simply apply again and you should be given full Settled Status.

Once you have been granted Settled Status this will be permanent. You can only lose this status if you leave the UK for a continuous 5 year period.

What is counted as 5 years residence – I plan to/I have already spent time outside the UK?

If you spend time outside the UK for any of the following reasons, you will still be considered to be resident in the UK, and this time will count towards your total time spent in the UK.

• No more than 6 months absence in any 12 month period

• One absence of over 6 months, but no more than 12 months and the absence was for an “important reason” such as study (e.g. Study Abroad/ERASMUS) , vocational training, an overseas posting, serious illness, pregnancy or childbirth

• an absence of any duration for compulsory military service

If you spend more than 6 months outside the UK and it is not for one of the reason above, you will not be considered to be resident in the UK. If you return to live in the UK on or before the 31st December 2020, you will still be eligible to apply to the Settlement Scheme, but you will be granted Pre-Settled Status and the start of your new residence period will be the date you return to the UK.

Do I need comprehensive sickness insurance?

No, you do not need to provide proof of sickness insurance (such as the European Health Insurance card or a private medical insurance policy). If you currently hold an EHIC card (European Health Insurance Card) I recommend you try and keep this renewed and valid, in case there are any changes.

I have applied for the Scheme and I have been asked for more documents – what should I provide?

The Home Office should tell you how long they think you have been resident in the UK. If it is less than 5 years, they may contact you to give you an opportunity to provide more documents to show you have been in the UK longer than their estimate. If they have estimated your time in the UK correctly, just reply and confirm you want to be granted Pre-Settled status. If they are wrong and you have been in the UK longer you can send them any of the documents below as evidence:

• UWS student status letter (will show your start date)

• Invoices for tuition fees and documentation issued by SAAS or student finance bodies

• Bank statements

• Employer letter, P60 and or P45

Further information and updates?

UKCISA website;

Home Office Guidance;,

UWS website